Issue: Surface Pro 3 stuck in Portrait mode with or without type cover and with rotation lock turned off.
There are a slew of issues on the web that address the issue with the screen rotation. Most, as you’ve probably found, deal with the type cover being connected or disconnected. Some deal with the user learning how to unlock screen rotation.
This issue is different as the screen is stuck in Portrait mode regardless of any setting changes or type cover. In fact, this issue persisted through the following things I tried.
- Solution 1: Disconnect your Surface Cover and any external displays
- Solution 2: Check the auto-rotation setting
- Solution 3: Turn your Surface off and back on
- Solution 4: Install the latest updates
- Solution 5: Run a troubleshooter
- Solution 6: Refresh Surface
You can find more information on about these troubleshooting steps here but none of them worked for me.
Perhaps following these steps helped but nothing worked until I used the Power button + Volume Up button sequence.
So, here is what I did that resolved the issue.
- Power down your Surface with the type cover connected.
- After the tablet is off, hold down the power and volume up buttons (at the same time) for about 30 seconds.
You might see the keyboard light up – just ignore it.
- After 30 seconds, press the power button to turn on the Surface and check to see if the problem is resolved.
Maybe it was a combination of the steps above – maybe it was just the power button + volume up sequence – I don’t know for sure but I’ll continue to narrow this down until I have a definite solution.
If you know the solution, please let me know and I’ll be happy to modify this post with your solution (credit given to you, of course).